Tuesday, January 10, 2012

FOOD: 3 days into it

Less isn’t worse.  It’s just less.  Less means fewer choices and, happily, fewer dishes to do.  Less means more advance planning and making some trade-offs.   It means more cooking big and saving some for something different next week.  Less means you can still have a few friends over for dinner, and they will walk away from the table full enough and happy to have been with you.  

These first few days have me thinking about transformation.  The foods we picked are humble:  pork, milk/cream, eggs, sweet potatoes, avocados, apples, and gluten free flour.  They are simple ingredients, but all foods that willingly transform to something even better.  Milk is fine, but add salt, vinegar and heat and you have fresh cheese.  Braise and shred boneless country pork ribs, squish up some avocados and plop them on top and you get a plate full of yum that even kids gobble up.  Borrowing from a lovely French chef I heard on the Food Network a few months back:  “The key is to take something humble and elevate it and make it noble.”

I looked up noble to find its meaning.  Here’s what I found:  gracious, fine, decent, righteous, good, splendid.  I like that because I have hopes that this Fasting from Excess experiment will first humble me, then make me gracious, fine, decent, righteous, good -- maybe even a teensy splendid every so often.  :)  That can only come through transformation.

The verse I’ve been meditating on today is Romans 12:2:
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

No comments:

Post a Comment