Sunday, January 22, 2012

Marshmallows and Grace

It occurred to me that I should have taken a photo of our fridge, freezer, and pantry on day 1.  It’s starting to look noticeably skimpier.  That’s a good thing because it means we’re working through our excess rather than letting it sit there.  But I gotta say, it makes me sort of swallow hard.  This food fast is no game.   

I’m fancying myself to be like a pioneer who is getting to the part of winter where food supplies are dwindling and you have to make good decisions on everything you choose to eat.  And you better not make many mistakes.  Like, for example, you should try really hard not to burn anything.  Tonight is a case in point.  Sydney (who is embracing the spirit of this thing, bless her heart), requested sweet potato casserole with marshmallows on the kid end of the casserole.  I whipped up a lovely batch, sprinkled our last two precious handfuls of marshmallows on one end, popped the pan in for a quick broil, and walked away.  A moment later, I asked Cate to check.  Cate was met by a poof of smoke in her face as she opened the oven.  Oops.

I get that pioneers probably didn’t have marshmallows to burn in the first place, but I’m sure Ma burned something that totally bummed Half-Pint, Mary and Carrie out.  My point is doing your best with what you have matters.  Big or small, choices motivated by love matter.  They matter, I think, because love is in the details.  And when the loving details aren’t perfect, that’s where grace comes in.  Sydney ate them anyway, and she told me she liked the marshmallows that way.  Bless her fibbing heart.

So, I will continue to do my best with what we have, without grumbling, and throw my love into whatever goes on the table.  I will be grateful for the love -- and grace -- of my family that is returned.  I will welcome each day by asking the Lord to lead me and I will listen for His counsel. I will love more, give more grace, worry less, and end the day grateful for the gifts of the Unchanging One.
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.  James 1:17

No comments:

Post a Comment