Friday, January 13, 2012

I Plan to Say Yes

We’ve got 6 days of this under our belts now, and I’ve let sweet potatoes back into my life.  Turns out that variety really is the spice of life. Cut them into wedges, toss in a little oil, salt and pepper, roast, and they turn from something that tastes like dessert to the savory something I’ve been craving.  I’ve had a few recipe suggestions from friends which does a couple of lovely things for me:  it reminds me that people are following along and cheering and praying us on; it reminds me that people love to help even if it’s as simple as providing a recipe suggestion; and it reminds me that sweet potatoes are supposed to be my nutritious, colorful friend, not my nemesis.  So, sweet potatoes and I have found our peace.

Despite the conscious limits that we’ve placed on our diet for month 1, I continue to realize the amazing privileges I have in my American kitchen.  Just to name a few:
  1. I have clean running water whenever I want it.
  2. I have ample refrigerator and freezer space to keep our food fresh.
  3. I have enough dishes to feed 4 dozen people, and, I’m sure, more than enough food {still} to accomplish that.
  4. I have no less than 7 ways to cook, heat and reheat food.
  5. I have 4 gadgets for mixing, chopping, and blending stuff with the flip of a switch.
  6. I have reliable electricity to accomplish all of said tasks.
  7. I have all sorts of goodies for making food pretty, something I am particularly fond of.
  8. I have 3 or 4 different ways to make coffee for crying out loud.

I remember as a kid being keenly aware that I could not imagine being born somewhere else in the world, like a fish can’t know anything other than its own water.  I find myself imagining what it would be like if I really had only 7 foods {or less} on hand, plus an open fire, pot, spoon and bowl.  I guess I either romanticize it a la Ma Ingalls, or I wonder how I could ever, ever cope and still, steadfastly, be grateful to the Lord for His provision.  What must that be like?  I imagine that it is very clear that you must be grateful for today's provision, that you must be a good steward of every morsel you are given, that you couldn’t fathom wasting a single bit of that gift.  Now that’s something that makes me aware of my excess and waste. 

I am so grateful that our hearts were moved to this journey.  I am grateful that the Lord is sharpening my awareness of the privileges he has given me.  I have been meditating today on the idea that we are called to more, not for our sake but for the sake of others.  Not to fill our bellies and leave others unfilled.  Not to be only aware of our privilege and then sit back and enjoy it, but to use our privilege for a greater purpose, a kingdom purpose.

From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.  Luke 12:48

I am everyone.  I am the one.  I have been entrusted and more will be asked.  I plan to say yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment