Saturday, January 7, 2012

A Tale of Two Inner Dialogs

Saturday morning, 10:30ish, after scanning cabinets, freezer, and fridge.

Me:  This is going to be so cool.  We’re going to be like pioneers, having just what we need.  Not too much, but enough.  No more living like there is an infinite supply of food without even a second thought.  Those partial bags of berries in the freezer will make such a fun treat someday.  Who cares if the girls think this is the stupidest thing ever.  They are going to learn so much about not being selfish and about sharing.  They will look back on this and think we weren’t so stupid after all.  Ahhhh.  I love this thing we’re doing.

Saturday afternoon, 1:30ish, when Sydney and two of her soccer friends come home after practice.

Sydney:  We’re starving.  What is there to eat?  Can you make us smoothies?

Me (out loud):  Let me see if I even have what we need to make smoothies.

Me (in my head while looking in the freezer):  No.  Not smoothies.  We need those berries for us!  Oh man, I was counting on having them.  [Brain pause.]  Aggghh.  What is wrong with me?!?!  Food is love.  I love hospitality.  It's a gift, you big dummy.  We will have enough.

Me (out loud):  Oh good.  We actually do have what we need to make some.  Do you want yogurt in your smoothie, too?

I’m going to learn so much.  I love this thing we’re doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment